Bacterial Growth Worksheet
- The population of bacteria in the first frame is 2. To find out how long it takes for the population to reach 4, add one minute at a time to the Intermediate Frame until you clearly see a population of four separate bacterial cells. Click 2 or 3 minutes beyond this frame to make sure the cells do not change further. How many frames (or minutes) did it take for the population to increase from 2 to 4?
- Assume that the population took 20 minutes to double (from 2 to 4). How large would the bacteria population be after one hour?
- How large would the population be after two hours? After three hours? (Again, assume the population doubles every 20 minutes.)
- Graph the bacterial populations you have calculated (at 1 minute, 20 minutes, one hour, two hours, and three hours). Use the x-axis for time and the y-axis for the number of cells. Click here for graph paper.
- What factors limit bacterial growth?
Return to the activity page.