Where You've Been
- In previous courses, you learned to solve simple equations.
- In Chapter 1, you extended your ability to do arithmetic operations to include rational numbers.
- Also in Chapter 1, you used variables to write expressions and equations that represent real-world situations.
Where You're Going
- In this chapter, you will solve equations, including equations with variables on both sides, using properties of equality.
- You will develop the ability to solve problems by defining variables, relating them to one another, and writing an equation.
- You will use measures of central tendency to describe a set of data.
Real World Snapshots Applying what you learn, you will do an activity involving bicycle gears, on pages 130-131.